Hello dudes and dudettes! We will continue to begin our new Units. Next we will start our new books for the Quarter so please bring your old books to school to return them. Freshmen, you read Swallowing Stones and Sophomores, you finished Part Time Indian and Hole In My Life. Remember that if you fail to return a book a fee will be added to your school account. New books will be Speak for the Sophomores and Zeitoun for Freshmen.
HOMEWORK ENGLISH I
- Complete any missing work!
- Bring Swallowing Stones to return!
- Bring independent reading book!!!
HOMEWORK HONORS ENGLISH II
- Choose one of the following quotes and explain how it relates to the essential questions for our unit:
1) The community stagnates without the impulse of the individual. The impulse dies away without the sympathy of the community.
2) I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.
― Mother Teresa
3) In History, stagnant waters, whether they be stagnant waters of custom or those of despotism, harbor no life; life is dependent on the ripples created by a few eccentric individuals. In homage to that life and vitality, the community has to brave certain perils and must countenance a measure of heresy. One must live dangerously if one wants to live at all.
― Herbert Read
4) To build community requires vigilant awareness of the work we must continually do to undermine all the socialization that leads us to behave in ways that perpetuate domination.
― Bell Hooks
- What factors contribute to defining a person’s identity?
- How does your relationship with your community define your identity?
- What are some problems in the community and what can an individual do to resolve or perpetuate them?
- EMAIL any missing BLOGS or papers TO ME firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the blog from 11/14 for the Blog template if you were absent and write one individually
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FOR EVERYONE!!!
- CHECK YOUR GRADES AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!!! You can always raise your grade by going to lunch tutoring or Scholar Hour. See me for more details and a pass. Then, I will send you down during lunch or after school.
- Build On Meeting Tuesday in Room 101!
- Culinary Club Meeting to be determined